Welcome Back WGSS Deacs!
Dear WGSS Majors and Minors,
Welcome back to campus!
I hope that you had a wonderful summer full of fun with family and friends! I want to take a moment to welcome you back to campus and, more importantly, back to WGSS. Please stop by and check out our new space (thanks to Ms. JaMeiya Estes).
This year is all about community—building community. bell hooks tells us that “One of the most vital ways we sustain ourselves is by building communities of resistance, places where we know we are not alone.” And that is our goal—to sustain ourselves by being in community as we resist oppression in all of its forms.
The faculty of WGSS and I are here to support you in all you do. Your success matters, and deeply, to us. So, what does that mean in lived reality?
- We support your journey to success as you define it.
- We foster your curiosity, by stretching your thinking
- We encourage you to become community leaders both at Wake and beyond Wake.
What are we asking of you?
Be in community with us. Let WGSS become the space where you feel free to dream, think, and do.
We invite you to join us at the following:
August 24, 2022, 6-8pm
Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and African American Studies
Tribble Hall Lobby
Black Women and Girls Symposium
September 9-10, 2022, 1-7:30pm on 9/9/2022, all day on 9/10/2022
Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Office of the Provost, and African American Studies
Benson University Center 401
I sincerely look forward to working with you as we build a critical community while making your year a success. Go…. WGSS Majors and Minors!!
Professor and Chair of WGSS
Achievement | Cooperation | Integrity | Justice
WGSS at Wake Forest University offers courses with a feminist interdisciplinary lens alongside outreach with human-to-human connections through which our students could realize the practical and emotional impact of feminist activism. We teach the whole student—mind, body, and spirit with the goal of transformation and renewal of the individual and the communities to which we belong.
WGSS will challenge your critical thinking and prepare you to be successful within your chosen career field.
Learn more about WGSS class offerings and requirements for our undergraduate and graduate concentrations.
Meet the Faculty
Meet the distinguished Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies faculty.
“If you’re going to live, leave a legacy. Make a mark on the work that can’t be erased.”– Dr. Maya Angelou
- Warmly Welcoming You BackWelcome back to campus! I hope that you had a wonderful summer full of fun with family and friends! I want to take a moment to welcome you back to […]
- Congratulations to our 2022 WGSS Awards Winners!!!
- Awards: Call for Student PapersAWARDS SEASON IS UPON US!!! The Sixteenth Annual Elizabeth Phillips Award will be presented this Spring. The award pays tribute to the late Elizabeth Phillips, Professor Emerita of English, for her exceptional […]
Stay Up to Date
Email communications will be sent weekly regarding events, news, and other updates from WGSS and our community partners.